When I first listened to this CD back in 2004, I was really unsure what to expect. I hadn’t been too pleased with Papa Roach’s prior release, “Lovehatetragedy,” however this CD really knocked me off my feet. Although “Getting Away With Murder” breaks away from Papa Roach’s traditional style of being a kind of rap/rock band, they accomplished something with this CD.
From the first to last song, the CD is great. I have listened to it over and over again countless times. One thing to point out about this CD is how frontman, Jacoby Shaddix, really improved as a vocalist. Shaddix’s voice much stronger on this CD compared to any of the previous releases. This can be seen in songs such as “Scars,” “Be Free,” and “Sometimes.” In all of these songs you can hear how Shaddix has control over his voice. He is able to change the notes seamlessly, and everything sounds very smooth. Shaddix’s performance really helps to make the CD what it is. With the catchy melodies of the lyrics and power behind them, it is hard to not give this CD credit.
I think that this CD caused a change in how Papa Roach would be viewed by critics and musicians. This CD totally stepped the band up to another level, and proved that they were more than just a young rap/rock band with little talent. Don’t’ get me wrong, I think that Papa Roach’s first CD, “Infest,” is a great CD. However, “Getting Away With Murder,” really shows that the band has talent behind it. This CD has definitely had an affect on how the band writes music now, and the band continues to grow and experiment with their sound. I think that “Getting Away With Murder” was very beneficial for the band, and has allowed them to continue their career in the music world.
Key Tracks: “Blood (Empty Promises),” “Take Me,” “Be Free,” and “Do or Die.”