Many people know Incubus for there radio singles, but this was the second CD that they released. This dates back before Incubus became a popular band in the mainstream world of music. I was in disbelief that Incubus created a CD like this when I first heard it. I had always thought of Incubus as being a band that was talented and that they released catchy songs, but I didn’t know that they were capable of producing something like this.
This CD was released in 1997, and the ideas behind the music are very complicated. This CD showcases the talent behind Incubus. The CD has a futuristic type sound with some of the sample and effects that they use in it, but the musical performances on it are outstanding. It is like Incubus tried to create a CD that was very progressive in style, but wanted to write 3-4 minute songs that contained this. This contrasts how progressive music usually is, since progressive music usually has very long songs with multiple parts.
Incubus uses styles of funk, rock, and jazz in this CD. This is something that I would have not expected them to do, but they did. This shows the talent and musical knowledge that these guys have. Some of the bass and drum grooves that are put together are just mind blowing. In the first track, “Redefine,” there is a slap bass and drum groove that is totally in synch with each other. It is fast and very funk like in nature. It is something that you would expect from an artist like Victor Wooten. I couldn’t believe that this was Incubus the first time I listened to the CD.
You have to have a very open mind to music when you listen to this CD because it is definitely odd. The songs are very far from the mainstream style that Incubus is known for from their radio singles. It is like a whole different band wrote this CD. I’m not trying to say that Incubus hasn’t done something very original with the music they have created after this CD, but it is definitely geared more for radio. This CD is just very musical, and embraces many styles. It shows how music has endless possibilities. The CD can be light at certain points, then heavy, but then they throw in jazz like solos and funk grooves. It is definitely a groundbreaking piece of work they put together.
Key Tracks: “Redefine,” “Glass,” “Vitamin,” “Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song),” and “Deep Inside.”