Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Alice in Chains “MTV Unplugged”

This CD is amazing. I find that Alice in Chains is one band that often gets overlooked. They were a very talented band, and I think they deserve credit for what they contributed to the music industry. Their style was very unique. The band often is labeled by the genre of grunge, but I think that they were a lot more than that. The band’s CD, “MTV Unplugged,” seems to show that they were more than just a grunge band.

This CD truly portrays the talent of the band. It shows that the band had members that were true musicians, and were able to change thirteen of their rock songs to become fit for an acoustic style. There are guitars, bass, drums, percussion, and vocals, but everything is very clean. I can’t say for sure, but the way the performance of the recording sounds seems like the band really thought about this performance.

“MTV Unplugged” is a live acoustic performance of Alice in Chains from 1996. The CD is a very relaxed and laidback sounding, and it is truly remarkable the talent that is embraced by it. This CD showcases guitarist’s, Jerry Cantrell, songwriting ability. Cantrell was songwriter for most of Alice in Chains’ music, and he is probably the one who helped make each song evolve into an acoustic version for this performance. The CD also showcases the talent of lead vocalist, Layne Staley. Staley is a remarkable vocalist, and has extraordinary control of his voice. He has a very wide range of notes that he can hit, and Alice in Chains would not be the same band without him.

The CD gives me chills every time I listen to the opening track, “Nutshell.” It seems like I can picture the whole performance going on, and I feel like I am at the show. All the harmonies between Cantrell and Staley also send shivers down my spine. The two of them created a very unique style of harmonies for this band, and it is amazing to here them being performed almost perfect in a live setting. This truly shows the talent that this band has. This is a CD that should be given a listen, especially if you are a fan of Alice in Chains.

Key Tracks: “Nutshell,” “Heaven Beside You,” “No Excuses,” “Down in a Hole,” and “Over Now.”