Friday, February 20, 2009

CD Review: Attack Attack! "Someday Came Suddenly"

This was a CD that I very surprised to come by. My one friend told me that he started listening to a new band that he had found out about, and that I needed to give them a listen. I was hesitant to take his word because most of the bands he listens to have a very similar sound, and there is nothing very distinct to any of the bands' specific styles. Most of them sound the same as the other. However, I decided to give this new band, Attack Attack!, a listen. To my surprise, I was very impressed.

Attack Attack! is a very new band and all of the members are barely in their early twenties. What this band did with, "Someday Came Suddenly," was very interesting. This band is very heavily reliant on synthesizers. This is what makes Attack Attack! have the distinct sound that they have. The keyboard/synthesizer parts add a whole new element to the music. All of the clean vocals go through a voice processor (a synthesizer), and it gives Attack Attack! an original sound.

"Someday Came Suddenly" would fall under the hardcore/metal category, but it is much more than that. With the use of all the synthesizers, this CD turns into a new style of music. The with the synthesizers accompanying the heavy metal music, it is like techno meets metal. It is very interesting. There are songs that have a really heavy breakdown, but then break off into a techno-like song accompanied with vocals, guitars, bass, and drums. I view their style as a new style of techno. It is very strange to hear a heavy guitar part accompanied by a techno beat with synthesizers, but Attack Attack! definitely made it work.

This was a band that I was skeptical about listening to at first, but I'm really glad I gave them a chance. They opened my eyes to a new style of music that I would have never thought to have worked. I hope that they can go far with the product they have write, and continue to put out music that breaks boundaries. If you like hardcore/heavy metal and dig some techno beats and synthesizers, I would definitely check Attack Attack! out.

Recommended Tracks: "Party Foul," "Interlude," "Dr. Shavargo Pt. 3," "Catfish Soup," and "Stick Stickly."